Who else is a trivia night lover like us? There’s nothing like getting a group of friends together and heading to the local spot to show off your unnecessary knowledge of random topics.
To be fair, we may not have won any trivia nights (yet), but that doesn’t mean we don’t have a large bank of knowledge that isn’t used on a daily basis. What do we mean by that? As the tri-state area’s original coffee catering company, we know a thing or two about coffee & everything that comes with it.
Today’s article is the perfect place to start for those of you out there looking to stock up on more fun facts. We’ve gathered 9 of the most surprising facts about coffee for you to show off your expertise at the next office meeting.
You can never know enough about coffee!
1. A goat herder supposedly first discovered coffee in Ethiopia.
2. Finland is the world’s top coffee-consuming country.
3. Drinking coffee was once punishable by death!
“During the 17th century Ottoman Empire, people thought that coffee contained mind-altering effects. Therefore, the ruler of this period believed it to be a type of narcotic and banned it from public consumption.”
4. Coffee is a fruit.
5. The most expensive coffees are made from cat poop and elephant dung…(yum?)
6. Americans spend an average of $1,092 on coffee every year.
7. Hawaii is the only US state that produces coffee!
8. Coffee helps reduce liver damage.
According to facts.net, “Research studies suggest that drinking coffee could help reduce liver damage from alcohol. This study conducted an experiment where over 430,000 participants with liver damage drank 2 cups of coffee a day.”