As we head into summer after a long year, it’s time to treat yourself to something sweet. Even if you’re not exactly on track for your ideal beach body, a specialty coffee drink can always brighten your day. What’s a better way to bring a smile to your face than with the perfect combination of ice cream and coffee? You know what they say, when you feel good, you look even better.
Translated to being “drowned” in Italian, affogato is basically drowning your coffee with ice cream (or vice versa). When you watch that hot foam combine with the cool luxury of frosty ice cream, you’ll want to drown yourself in it too.
Start brewing up some espresso and break that ice cream out of the freezer. Today’s specialty coffee recipe is one that you’ll be returning to all summer long. Join us as we dive into the simple steps behind an Affogato so you can finally treat yourself like you deserve.
Before we get into the intricate details, you’re going to want to plan out your toppings. Who wants just boring old ice cream anyways? Our friends over at natashaskitchen.com have a few topping recommendations that we co-sign 100%.
You can’t go wrong with:
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Chocolate shavings from a chocolate bar
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Grated chocolate espresso beans
- Biscotti or Italian pizzelle cookies, crushed
- Sea salt
- Toasted and chopped hazelnuts or pistachios
- Liquor for adults (Kahlua, Bailey’s or Frangelico)
Now that your toppings are all sorted out, let’s get into the fun part.
- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream (or vanilla gelato)
- 2 oz espresso (2 shots), or strong brewed coffee
- Add 2 scoops of ice cream to a serving bowl or glass.
- Add chocolate shavings or other toppings if desired.
- Pour 2 shots of hot espresso or strong brewed coffee over the ice cream and serve right away.